Re: RC: Annual Board Meeting

In a message dated 01/24/2000 10:20:06 AM Pacific Standard Time, EquesB
writes:

<< OK, BOD members, I would like to ask what is the official AERC viewpoint
on Ride Managers riding their own rides?  Also, this would include the Ride
Staff that represents themselves as not being in charge, yet, knows all that
is going on and how it should go!  SO far I have seen 2 rides this fall,
where the RM was riding the ride when there were incidents in camp trhat
shouild have had direct supervision. One recent ride, the head vet indicated
that he would not vet that ride again under those circumstances.  Do we have
to lose quality vetting for the sake of a manager getting a few more miles?

 If the Board is inclined would it be possible for AERC to issue a statement
indicating that it is frowned upon and not reccomended?

I am 1) a BOD member, 2) a ride manager and 3) a rider, in that order of
priority.  I rarely ride one of our own rides, but I certainly want the
option to do so if I wish.  Our own personal policy as ride managers is that
at least one of our management team (family of 7 knowledgeable adults and one
in training) must be on the ground being a problem spotter and solver.  As it
works, there is one family member at each major vet check site and 1-2 roving
ones.  I realize we are lucky to have all our family around us and that they
know the ropes, but I'm just stating our policy.  Other ride managers must
work it out their own way.  I feel it is absolutely essential that someone
who is knowledgeable and competent is on the ground trouble shooting at all
times throughout the ride.
AERC sanctioning application forms have a place for listing an alternate
manager and the policy that if the listed RM is riding, the ALT RM must take
his/her place and responsibility.  If this is not happening to the
satisfaction of the riders, then there is an avenue for complaining and that
is through the Protest & Grievance Committee, or call your regional
sanctioning director and complain.  The regional SD has the responsibility of
monitoring the rides as to satisfaction, i.e. mileage (too short or too long
for listed mileage), ride management integrity, etc.  If the regional SD
feels it is warranted, he/she may refuse to allow the offending ride to
re-sanction.  It is preferable to discuss the problem with the RM and try to
work out a solution, but in cases of persistant lack of compliance with AERC
rules governing ride quality, the SD has the power to refuse re-sanctioning.
I personally would dislike seeing the BOD adopt more restrictive rules.  Ride
management is a purely voluntary job and gets little thanks from most riders.
 If too many restrictions are put on RMs, who's going to WANT to do the job
anymore?  Something to think about ...  plus the fact that most AERC members'
chant is "there are too many rules".  So don't restrict RMs too much or
you'll lose them.  My opinion.  And remember, the next time you ride a ride
you're really happy with, tell the RM that you had a great time, the trail
was beautiful, and it was very well-marked (if this was the case).  If the
trail was not well-marked, a gentle suggestion that "such and such a spot on
the trail was a bit confusing and perhaps the ride manager might apprecitate
the observation".  We RMs usually appreciate GENTLE suggestions, we don't
appreciate whining and complaining.  It's all in how you go about it.  We
don't want someone overdoing the compliments as it is a bit embarassing, but
a sincere word about how much fun you had is very welcome.  And perhaps an
acknowledgement of the amount of hard work the RM put into the ride, for it
is truly a very challenging job.  Off my soapbox now ......

Barbara McCrary
Chair, RM Committee
Mgr., Castle Rock 50 & Swanton Pacific 100
Central coast CA