Re: RC: Conformation flaws that are "Deal Breakers"

Hi Kimberly
You have to realize that Russians mature much slower than other
bloodlines and that a 2 year old Russian is probably comparable to a one
year old of other lines. They are physically and emotionally immature at
this point. The degree of conformational defect does not appear major in
the photo but then it is hard for me to tell anything from one photo;
what I would be more interested in is the degree of forward reach and
hock action. Your trot photo shows a horse whose legs do not come out as
far as her head nor is there much overreach between front and back legs.
Of course that could be due to a bad photo, lazy day or any number of
things. If I were you I'd observe her movement, even ask for a video.
Horses do not move great all the time, even the best of them (don't we
all have our lazy days?) however, if the seller cannot find one bit of
footage that has fabulous movement on it, I would be hesitant to take
the risk of hoping the horse can trot out. Also, you want a nice fold at
the fetlock--- you should be able to see the full bottom of the hoof as
you stand behind the horse trotting. That, a long reach in front, the
hind feet coming underneath the horse to just below the girth (optimal),
and strong hock action--- (a strong long well angled hip and muscled
gaskin)-- seem to be what the race trainers have always looked for. Now
the other stuff--- heart rate, blood work, size of heart... that would
be Susan Garlington's and Tom Ivers' (and others') bailiwick!
Remember, it's the total horse--- not just one imperfect part--- that
has to be taken into consideration. And BTW, you can have seemingly
PERFECT conformation and have a horse who would never make it on the
track or in endurance. There are lots of factors you cannot see (and I'm
not just talking about temperament, willing attitude, and the nefarious
thing called "heart"). Inherited things that allow for fluid motion and
athletic ability. E.g.., I'm told that Hal has his extreme reach in
front--- not because of an extremely laid back shoulder (he has a nice
one, but Explodent was the one with the 45 degrees and his reach was not
as long)--- but because the ligaments supporting the shoulders (slung
over the withers, as Jeff Wonnell explained it--- you technical people
can put a name on them-- I tried figuring out the name in my anatomy
book and was quickly lost) are extremely supple and he tends to throw
that to his "kids". Jeff also likes to look at the placement of the
humerus bone in judging a free shoulder. LOTS of factors to keep track
of and still so much depends on training and working within the horses'
strengths and limitations (and they all have them).
Bette

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians, Home of 16.2hh TLA Halynov