Stalls 101

I have a very basic question that I would like to know
the answer to.  My ferrier always tells me that I do
not take my horses in and out of the stalls correctly.
He says I am not "safe", which I do not doubt, I am
just too prideful to ask him because it is kind of a
love/hate relationship.  I like his shoeing job, but I
am not crazy about his personality.  Anyhow, I am
asking you guys.  I simply lead them in and turn
around and exit. They never try to follow me out or
anything. Of course, I always make sure that their
butts are never turned to me or that I am in a
compromising position (at least to my knowledge).  I
have had no problems yet, but he says that sometime
they might run me over.  So...I would like to know
stall etiquette and thought ridecampers would help.
Thanks a lot - Terri