Re: RC: Ohio trail closure

In the future we will be looking at more trail closures in the winter
throughout Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tenn,  All of these states have
freeze thaw cycles that leaves portions of the trail a mess if horses are out
there churning up the trail.  There are ways to prevent or to reduce any
damage
to the trail.  The easy way out for the forest service is to close the trail.
The hard way to deal with the issue is to survey the trail, determine what
areas are at risk, then establish a management plan whereby improvements
can be
made so winter use may continue.  Our trail advocate in the state of Ohio is
Molly Krumlaw and this will be her responsibility to work with all of the
groups involved with the issue and to keep us informed.  If letters of support
are needed, Molly will make the call.  Until then, give Molly a chance to work
within the system to see if we can bring some common sense to the table.
Jerry Fruth, Chairman of the AERC trails committee