over-riders and pulls

Here is the delimma.  We want the vets to pull horses that "we" as
spectators want to see stopped.  At the same time we want "the rider has
ultimate responsibility for the horse".
I have been a RM for 14 years..this delimma seemed especially bad this year.
The answer?  If the horse is "fit to continue" under our AERC guidelines,
then the vet can reccommend the rider slow down...quit, etc...but in the end
it is THE RIDER'S RESPONSIBILITY...so we can only hope and educate...
I know of a horse who was literally dragged on foot across the finish
line...it was so tired.  .sure makes me furious...but as a RM I can do
nothing, but try to educate or hope they quit endurance.

BTW, I see more people lately pulling BEFORE a vet check (not checking in)
..hmmm..could it be they want to be LISTED as RO????
Ya'll, listing riders names  is still a VERY bad idea.  Yeah, you tell me it
is to "better prepare for that ride next year"...sorry..let's be honest...it
is to AVOID that ride next year.
Oh, and reason #2, to "educate those riders"..GIVE ME A BREAK.  Say what it
really is...to BADMOUTH those riders.
And the stats?  What a joke.  A dead lame horse pulls and doesn't go to the
vet so he can get a RO.  A high pulse just doesn't check in with the
vet..the rider comes up and says "I'm tired" to get a RO.  IT IS HAPPENING!
List numbers, not names, if you want some reasonable stats.
Fire away... I'm sure disappointed at the director nominees who cannot see
through this agenda.
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians
Oklahoma