Re: RC: Elderly Horses and Distance

Hi...
In my opinion, it totally depends on what the horse has done and how they
were taken care of.  If a horse was trashed as a youngster then by the time
it gets to be around 18, it might not have much left.  But if the horse was
taken care of, and doesn't have a whole lot of old injuries, and still LIKES
to go out, then there's no reason that the horse shouldn't be able to do what
you want to do.

I had a 17 year old horse that I wanted to do endurance riding with, but it
turned out that his endurance miles were all used up.  He was ridden hard
when he was young and had quite a few injuries.  I ended up selling him to a
gal who uses him as a trail horse and he's MUCH happier.

I have a friend whose mare did her first ride at 16 and went on to do Tevis
at 22.
So never underestimate the ol' fogeys. :-)
Older, more mature, horses can be way more fun than those young
whippersnappers :-D
just start slow with your mare and take it from there.
and don't forget to have fun!! <g>

Renee