RE: Gold Country

Gold Country was one of the prettiest and best managed rides I've ever been
to!  Jakar and I had to pull at 45 miles due to a cinching problem but he's
much today and we're going out in the hills for an easy ride tomorrow... uh,
bareback of course.  We're trying an adjustable rigging on the sportsaddle
and trying out a couple different cinches before the Comstock 50 in two
weeks.  Anybody know of a good source of neoprene covers offhand?  We're
also thinking about trying Teddy's woolback sport cinch as well.  Options...
must have Plan A, Plan B, Plan...

We were running top ten most of the day and didn't even know it until my
daylong riding partner, Maureen Crerar, mentioned that someone had clued her
in at lunch:)  We were behind the amazing Dennis Rinde through much of the
first half.  That man is incredibly fast on foot and was riding in running
shorts with no saddle cover... THAT'S endurance!!  We also noticed his horse
seemed very fit, experienced, and moved economically.  Dennis said he
doesn't care much for riding the trot downhill so he was off and running a
whole bunch.  I was waiting to see if he was going to carry that horse as an
encore!  The trails through that part were like riding in a veritable Garden
of Eden.  Babbling brooks, dripping ferns, winding trails through manzanita
higher than us on horseback, pine mixed with deciduous trees in fall colors,
small stands of the infamous knee-knocker variety of trees... Lori Oleson
and Maureen can tell you about those <g>.

Robert Ribley was off his horse on the uphill on the switchbacks through the
granite going to the Bald Mountain lunch stop.  The three of us got to
exchange a few good stories while riding conservatively when the footing got
better.  Maureen and I didn't pay much attention to the time leaving the
checks so we didn't see him again until after the ride.  Jakar and I
trailered out of the 45 mile check with Lori, who's horse found a rock with
his name on it:(  We settled our horses in and then made a break for the
dinner table before those hungry runner guys showed up and ate all the
goodies.  BTW... there was plenty of food, water, and practically anything
else you can think of at this ride.

I'm glad they all did so well.  Their horsemanship was outstanding!  As for
my horsemanship... well... it can use some work apparently.  Hopefully I'll
get it together before my horse divorces me.  Many thanks to the volunteers,
the vets, and Gold Country Endurance Riders for putting on such a fun ride!
We'll definitely be back.  Oh Cheryl if you're reading this... Could you
please put an escalator in at that one downhill with the cinder blocks?
Nikki the "yellow pail" lady