Re: Whips in endurance

You can all flame away but I started out with a small crop riding Malik when
I first started riding (especially with other horses) and on our first few
rides.  All I ever really used it for was a tap (ok, sometimes it was a
whack) on the neck to remind him I was there and get his attention...then I
carried it mostly because he knew if I had it or not and behaved better if I
did even though I rarely had to use it anymore.  I can't remember when I
quit using it but now that he has gained more experience and we are more in
tune with each other, I don't need it but I DID need it before.  It served
its purpose for a time and we were able to eliminate it.  So I guess you
could call it a training aid...
Maggie