Re: Whips in endurance

>You can all flame away but I started out with a small crop riding Malik when
>I first started riding (especially with other horses) and on our first few
>rides.  All I ever really used it for was a tap (ok, sometimes it was a
>whack) on the neck to remind him I was there and get his attention...then I
>carried it mostly because he knew if I had it or not and behaved better if I
>did even though I rarely had to use it anymore.  I can't remember when I
>quit using it but now that he has gained more experience and we are more in
>tune with each other, I don't need it but I DID need it before.  It served
>its purpose for a time and we were able to eliminate it.  So I guess you
>could call it a training aid...
>Maggie

I carry a crop (not a full sized dressage whip) on all of my rides.  I
carry it primarily as a utility item but also because I'm usually on a
green horse who likes to do a lateral dance as we're heading down any trail
(whenever we get on anything with two tracks!)  I find this *very* annoying
and a bit tiring (but VERY good in getting you to keep your heels down. ;-)
 The dance involves cruising back and forth on the tracks in an effort to
avoid the forest monsters who appear *everywhere* in western
Washington...usually in the form of dead ferns and tree stumps!!  They
usually set themselves up on alternate sides of the trail, spacing
themselves about 10-20 feet apart!  The horse gets a tap on the shoulder
when he does his diagonal leaps and eventually he reacts by just looking at
the monster and trucking on by.  When he's gotten past the point of doing
the "Darby Dance" every 10 feet (named after Darby, my Arab/Welsh mare who
was the *worst*!), the crop goes back to primarily being used for moving
blackberry vines and catching spider webs. ;-)

I've spent a fair amount of time learning to ride with spurs as an adjunct
to leg cues to refine my requests, but I've not seen any instances where I
would consider using them on the trail.  My horses are quickly responsive
to my legs and, in the event that I HAVE to move them over ASAP and their
brain is missing, my crop can usually retrieve their brain in one good
smack...and I'm quick -- leg (no response), smack, leg.  All done very
matter-of-fact'ly with an accompanying growl or stern command.  I'm strict
about responses (and consistent and fair) so they'll usually give me what I
want on my first request...and it's a behavior pattern that is learned
early on in their training!  Pays to be a bone fide anal-retentive.  ;-)
As time goes by, they actually need less and less cue strength to get the
desired response.

Sue
-------
Sue Brown