Riding and calories...

To the posters who have been asking for more info about the article
on riding and fitness that I posted.

I just saw the article and was surprised at the 300-350 calories per hour.
No idea on western vs english - trotting vs walking - etc.

I do think Susan Gs note on the treadmill work she was a part of- being
more on the order of 225 cal/hour sounds more reasonable.

I certainly can see how a serious dressage "hour" would use much more than
an hour of trotting on a 100.  But I do know that being on my horse
trotting for an hour is a lot easier than jogging along on the ground
for an hour. Much less calories for me...

Mike