Re: riding and calories...

In a message dated 09/21/2000 7:28:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
RQuestarabians writes:

<< In a message dated 09/21/2000 11:27:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
bolinger@bigsky.net writes:

 << I wonder how those exteemly competitive ride-and-tie people condition to
do
  both??

 Dear Sandy,
 Ride and Tiers can do both because they train for both. What I was getting
at is that you just can't say that because you can post on a horse for an
hour you should automatically be able to run for an hour or bike for an hour.
Sure (depending on yoour overall pysical fitness) you probably could run for
an hour, but if you are not in shape for it (breathing , muscle, tendons
atc.) you just aren't going to feel well after doing it. I was not suggesting
that people cannot do both riding and running. All that I was saying is that
for me, at that time of my life when I was in high school it made sense to
give up riding to focus on my running. I was working towards a scholarship.
The long distance riding did impact my performance in my running. I was able
to cut 15 seconds off my 800 meter time which is a lot. I would not have been
able to do this or get a scholarship had I not made this crucial sacrafice.
 Robyn