Re: riding and calories...

>I can't believe that!  If you read the article, you noticed that it said
>western disciplines don't use as many calories as English.  That's because
>english riders POST the trot, which is a lot of work.  It doesn't take me
>long to work up a sweat when I am riding in the arena, or out in the hills
>conditioning.  We don't just walk along, and staying in balance takes
>muscular effort.

I've found it takes a lot more energy (and burned calories) to take a green
horse out for 3 hours than it does to take an experienced horse out for 5!
I see this as the lack of good, steady gaits, more spookiness at new stuff
on the trail, and more stumbling as the greeny learns to bend his hocks,
pick up those feet, and recall the arena cavaletti work. <g>  (The rider
has to keep shifting balance which works those muscles more!)  The 3 hours
with the green horse is at a lot of walk and moderate trot where the 5
hours with the veteran is mostly trot, less walk, and more canter...and I'm
*much* more tired after the 3 hours with the green one!!

Sue
-------
Sue Brown
Tyee Farm