Re: RC: what now?

Hey ya -

Did you explain to the farrier WHY you didn't want the sole and frog cut out
as much?  Most farriers have more experience than the owners, so some tend
to stop listening and do what they believe is best for the horse.  Deep
frogs cause heavy thrush (and therefore lameness).  Plus, if the farrier is
used to shoeing horses that ride in an arena all the time, he might not
appreciate the need for extra sole padding (which I assume is why you want
to keep the frog and sole thicker than normal) since he's used to horses
that don't travel on rough ground.

Obviously, the fact that your mare is lame isn't very good.  My first
instinct was "bad farrier!".  But then I considered.  A horse with a thicker
sole develops problems much like a pad dependent horse does - which is to
say that after the sole is cut down thinner (or the pad removed), the horse
experiences increased sensitivity from their newly exposed sole.

It does sound like your farrier admitted that he cut a bit too much off the
sole.  Hopefully, all you are dealing with is a bit of bruising from the too
thin sole.

I'm not saying that the farrier was in the right ... he definitely made
several communication errors in not listening and not telling you abut the
job.  Honestly, I see lots of owners who don't know squat about their
horse's shoes and don't care at all.  If they actually talk to their
farrier, it's often to parrot something that they were told or read
somewhere, not often understanding what they are talking about.  I try to
have extensive discussions with my farrier - first, so I know he is informed
about the demands I put on my horse and second, so that in talking he
realizes I am an informed owner who knows her stuff, respects his opinion,
and wants what is best for her horse.

Best of luck!  Communication is the key.

Leah
& Pagan

P.S. If he "nicked her" as he said, that is often from shoeing when the nail
goes in too close to the sensitive tissues of the hoof.  If that IS what
happened, she should be fine in a few days (unless he nicked her REALLY bad,
but she'd be dead lame with that, plus she'd have kicked him HARD).  Nicking
is something that just happens ... it happens less with a good farrier, but
it happens to the best of them.  A farrier should mention it .... but they
often don't since lameness doesn't always result.  As for soaking the foot
... that won't do much except make her sole even more sensitive, which you
don't want if the sole indeed is too thin as you believe, since it will make
her more prone to bruising.