Endurance as a team sport

Heidi wrote:
>Good start, but I'd make 'em declare 6 at the beginning of the season, name
>the four in competition at the beginning of any given ride, and award credit
>the top three--that way they have to use the same sorts of strategies they
>would be using in FEI competition.

I think you are close, but there is something I want to ask about FEI
competition.

Is a team that declares 4 rides and completes 4 riders better than
a team that declares 4 riders. pulls 1 rider, and completes 3 riders?
Why is the 4th rider never able to contribute towards the win?

I understand that a team needs a little wiggle room for completion.
Therefore, losing one rider does not disqualify the team, but the
4th rider should be able to help the team win.

Can a team choose to name 3 or 4 riders for competition at the
beginning of any given ride? A 3 rider team still must finish 3 riders
to be awarded credit, but naming only 3 riders would allow some
wiggle room for pre-race day problems. The 3 rider team must ride
with the understanding that a single pull would disqualify them,
but a team, riding cautiously, could finish be awarded credit.

Scott