Attn: ride managers advice pls?

Hello out there -

My husband's fire dept is seeking ideas for fundraising benefit
opportunities.  I'm wondering if any ride managers have advice for me
about whether sponsoring a distance riding event of some sort would be
worthwhile for them.  (Okay, and I'm sure some of you can see right
through my ever-so-clever ruse <eg> ... )

If you've successfully held a benefit ride (or not!) what can you tell
me about:

	type (end/ctr) of ride?  sanctioned? cross-sanctioned?
	distance(s)? multiday? multi-rides one w/e?
	# of entries?
	meals?  provided by whom?
	season?
	things you'd do differently?