Re: RC: Tevis

At 07:35 AM 09/10/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Kristen Truitt ndttex@aol.com
>Does any body have the statistics on how many people finished the 2000
>ride who had never done a formal 50-100 mile endurance ride? I am curious
>and I am sure there are others out there that would like to complete the
>Tevis but who don't do 50's or 100's. I am very much interested in this.
>Is the actual Tevis trail open to People who want to ride it prior to
>competition? Thanks.

Kirsten:  I don't know how many people off of the top of my head, but the
stats showed that whether or not you finished Tevis had no correlation to
the amount of experience you or your horse had prior to entering the
ride.  Well, maybe a little more likely to finish if the horse had more
experience (but we're not talking much difference either in % or in actual
experience).  A lot of people have done Tevis as their first 100, or even
as their first endurance ride.

Another interesting thing.  Your completion rate really had little to do
with whether or not you finished Tevis.  You could have a really low
completion rate and complete, while riders who had done a few thousand
miles with 100% completion did not.  Thus proving, obviously, that having
requirements for entering Tevis would be totally useless.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in NV
& Rocky, 3,015 miles