pulling up hills

  Here's my 2 cents.
  First, I like to teach a horse how to travel long and low on the flat,
emphasizing keeping enough energy coming from behind to prevent getting
heavy on the forehand, then once that becomes easy for him (allowing days to
weeks for this, depending how it goes) I'll ask him to practice long and low
on easy to moderate inclines, at a pace he can easily maintain.
  Eventually most horses will come to realize that in the long run it's
easier to push uphill than pull uphill.  I suggest you: 1) teach him how to
position his body long and low - not all the time, but as an exercise,
though if you let him get above the bit that of course is counterproductive
to your training of his musculature as well as his mind  2) Condition him
appropriately to make it easier for him to accomplish pushing himself uphill
- that is, be consistent with long and low work, which encourages the horse
to utilize his abdominal and hindquarter muscles and to round his back,
stretching the topline  3) Make your increased increments of demand small
enough to be within his capability, but of a magnitude that asks him to
think about what he's doing.
   I hope this helps.

- Olivia