Re: BRAVO

In a message dated 09/08/2000 7:39:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time, MargieKC
writes:

<< Thank you for putting in writing what so many of us are dealing with each
year.  I would love to have all riders preenter!  The rides in Kansas can run
from a total of 15 riders to over 60 or 70.  My biggest fear is not having
enough vets so I have paid three vets the last two years.  This year (due to
the awful heat) we only had 39 riders.  Three vets was too many but I still
had to pay for them.  I also ordered 100 tshirts when 60 would have been more
than enough for finishers and volunteers.  I never plan to make money because
we donate all proceeds (less vet fees) to a charity but this year we barely
made the vet fees.

 I wonder if a certain cutoff would work.  Only  60 (or 75, etc) riders
accepted.  Like the Tevis.  Of course, here in our part of the world 75 would
be incredible!!!  Whatever feedback you get, please share with the rest of
us.  It's the hardest part of putting on the ride.

 Again, thank you for a great article.

I've been working on the PERFECT solution to this problem for all of the 25
years I've been a ride manager.  First I will acknowledge than some ride
managers don't want pre-entries.  They seem to manage nicely, and I respect
them for their technique.  I've never tried it, so I can't speak from
experience.  I had a very informative phone call from another west region
ride manager (RM), who has done it both ways and has changed to the no
pre-entry system.  She likes it and it works for her.  As I listened to her
tell me how it was done, I kept finding difficulties, such as having to make
lists and labels as she went along.  Also, I thought of the time spent as
each rider had to fill out his entry balnk and rider card.  Personally, I
think I'm going to prefer doing my paperwork ahead of time, but I'm going to
continue th analyze the possibilities of the other system.  I'd rather have
to cross out names than add them on at the last minute.  Also, I'm a person
who likes to present a very professional image of ride organization, hence
rider cards with computer generated labels, rider lists, and a registration
list that the registrar can check off as riders pick up their packets.  I
find the computer a useful tool for ride management.
This year I tried the higher entry fee, with substantial discount for early
entry.  I set a deadline, after which the higher fee would be applicable, and
after which there would be no GUARANTEE of food or awards.  As it was, a few
riders did enter at the last minute, there was enough food, and there were
enough awards.  But I merely stated there was no guarantee.....In order to
save money, most riders entered on time.  It seemed to me that the
organization of our most recent ride (in August) went more smoothly than
other times I can remember.  I'm going to continue this system until it
proves to me that it isn't doing the job, but I will keep looking at the
ramifications of the no pre-entry system.  A RM can always learn something
new.
As for cutoff dates for entries, I've tried this and it is difficult to deal
with unless you have a harder heart than I have.  Riders call up two days
after cutoff begging to be allowed to come, and then a RM is left with a hard
decision and a guilty conscience,  especially if the rider is a good friend.
I don't recommend this policy, as it was mine for many years.  The discount
for early entry relieved me of a guilty conscience and it gave the riders an
option....enter early and save money or enter late and pay the premium.  It
seems to have worked fairly well.
I agree that knowing the approximate number of entries ahead of time is
essential to having enough vets, food, and outhouses, or not too many, as the
case may be.
One particular rule in ride management I've learned the hard and expensive
way:  NEVER have any awards dated until after the ride is over.  I've even
had to cancel events due to inclement weather and had dated T-shirts to deal
with.  Bad planning!!
Any other ideas I can help with??

Barbara