Post from Rick Stewart on the WEC

I was asked to forward this post from Rick Stewart to
Ridecamp. Rick was the USET Chef d'Equipe.

Steph

-------------------

I read with great interest Alison Farrin's post regarding the WEC this year. She injects a very large measure of common sense and good observations on the state of international endurance competition in the USA. As a person who dislikes having to re-invent the wheel so to speak, I am always interested in how other disciplines attempt to field teams to international competitions and how their attitudes toward international competition compare with endurance in the USA.

I would like to make a couple short comments on the competition this year. Without getting into detail and second-guessing on what was and what could have been, here are my opinions on our team and competition this year:

1) We had an excellent team, possibly one of the best we have ever fielded. The problems we had on ride day had very little, I repeat, little to do with the perceived experience level or mistakes made in preparation for the event.

Since arriving in France three weeks prior to the ride, we had four very solid and sound horses and riders who trained well and were completely prepared for competition day. These four went on to ride for the team. We had some relatively minor problems, (which ALWAYS happens at these events) with two more squad members’ horses' which were successfully sorted out and who were completely ready to start the ride. Both would have started had we not had an unfortunate injury to one of our riders (Darla Westlake who had a severe break of her collarbone in an accident during training on the trail). Needless to say, this is NOT something that happens often; in fact this was the first time we had to substitute for an injured rider.

2) We had some last minute scrambling of horse/rider combinations (allowed by FEI rules) due to Darla's injury. Marcia Smith graciously agreed to ride Darla's horse, RamZ, which led to an open position on the squad. Jan Worthington filled this spot literally the day before the ride by agreeing to ride Brown R Timothy. This is obviously not the ideal situation, having two riders on new horses late in the process, but we felt at the time, as I still do, that this was the right strategy.

3) We had some unexpected problems ride day with three of our team horses, problems not encountered by any of the horses previously. It is my experience that new and unexpected problems ALWAYS happen at WEC's, especially those where we have to ship overseas. This event was more unusual in that we had several new problems all on ride day. As they say, s*** happens, and we got it in spades. No reflection on horses or riders, sometimes it is just not your day.

Same goes for Valerie Kanavy who has obviously proved she is the best in the world with winning times the last three WEC's. The odds just catch up with you eventually; you can't be "on" all the time.

4) We had the absolute BEST support group and staff we have ever had at any competition to date. In my opinion, we were more organized and more professional at this competition that we have ever been. You can't imagine how impressive it was to see over 100 USA support staff in red white and blue spread out at every vet check and along the trail. My thanks to all of the support staff and volunteers for a job well done!

5) We were competing on the home ground of the second most successful country in endurance, France. In fact, the French hint that they rival the USA in numbers of people involved with endurance (measured by numbers of members in their endurance organization compared to AERC) and in the support they get from their organization and country. Since the inception of WEC in 1986 and before this competition, the French have been second only to the USA in medals (9 versus 17 for the USA). France can now add three more medals to the count for twelve and for this they are to be congratulated and should be justifiably proud.

But just as it was for the USA in 1988 and 1996, the home team has the advantage. The top three individuals this year were, at least to some degree, locals and no doubt trained on the trail on a regular basis (so I’ve been told). Plus, it should be noted that the French did not finish a team on their home ground and won no team medal. Obviously this was a tougher trail than even they realized.

In summary, while this was in many ways the most unusual competition I have "Cheffed" for (I have done three World's and two North Americans), I have no regrets and would not have done anything differently. We fielded our best, supported them with a well-run and professional support team, and had wonderful finishes with Connie Walker and Stephanie Teeter. And this year continued a pattern that seems to be holding: Historically, we have alternated good years in overseas competition (1986, 1992, 1998) with poor ones (1990, 1994, 2000) which just goes to show, you can’t win 'em all!

Rick Stewart DVM

Chef d' Equipe, USA Endurance Team

PS And by the way, veterinarians can and do talk to the riders (when they speak the same language!), one of the many common myths and misconceptions regarding FEI rides!