Re: RC: No Subject

In a message dated 9/6/00 9:27:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Marinera@aol.com
writes:

<< I think that my "enough is enough" post was misinterpreted by some which I
 regret.  My original premise was that I felt the rate of pulls on 100 milers
 is great because horses come into them tired from too much work. it has been
 my experience that horses that have a base of several years of hard work
 benefit by time off and that after extended layoffs, they can come back
 strong with very little  reconditioning.  To prove my point, I cited as an
 example, that Gazal, under this sort of a program, was able to run with the
 best —  Boyd and Hans.  I also felt that if Gazal had  a stronger rider (I
 get pooped out there), he possibly could have won.
 Boyd and I have been friends.for over 20 years.  I don't think that has
 changed.
 Julie Suhr >>

Julie,

You're on the right track. There is a concept in human endurance competiton
called "periodization". It deals with microcycles, mesocycles and macrocycles
of training/competition. Hard-easy days, weeks, months and seasons.

But it's tricky. All based on the individual, what he did two years ago, last
year, last season, last month, last week, and yesterday. The two primary
variables being volume and intensity. Miles and speed (or HR if you're
working hills).

ti