This Sport as a Sport

K S SWIGART   katswig@earthlink.net

Tom Ivers said:

> And, if you're actually serious about this sport as a sport, and not
> as an opportunity for a picnic in the woods,

When I read a statement like this it reminds me of William Devane's
last words in the Mel Gibson movie Payback, which, since it is an R
rated movie, I will not repeat them here.  If you are really curious
you can rent the movie.

However, if I look up the word "sport" in the dictionary, I find:

Main Entry: sport
Pronunciation: 'spOrt, 'sport
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, to divert, disport, short for disporten
Date: 15th century
intransitive senses
1 a : to amuse oneself :

Function: noun
1 a : a source of diversion: RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) :
physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity
(as an athletic game) so engaged in

To do something for sport is to engage in the activity purely for its
entertainment value.  If you do it for the money, or for the glory, or
to win, or to prove yourself better than others and not just for the
fun of it, it ceases to be sport.  (So yes, "professional sports" is an
oxymoron).  Tom, apparently, is choosing to use the word differently
and defines sport as a contest where the some winner takes all.

I mention this not just to quibble about the semantics of words
(although, if we are going to communicate using words, we do have to
agree what they mean for the communication to be effective), but rather
as an attempt to explain why some people are expressing displeasure
about the trends they are observing in endurance riding.  They are
concerned, because it is moving in the direction of ceasing to be sport
(as has happened to many Olympic events).  If you provide huge
incentives for people to win, you will attract people who are
interested in it for what they can win...and in my experience, such
people are no fun to play with.

As an example, there is sword play that is engaged in for sport, and
there is sword fighting which is deadly serious.  So if I go fencing
with intention of engaging in sword play and the person I am fencing
with is engaged in a sword fight, it is unlikely that I am going to
have much fun.  It is true, that if you really want to determine who is
the best swordsman the activity must be engaged in as a fight and not
merely play.  But since outcome of sword play is entertaining physical
exercise and the outcome of a sword fight is injury or death, I am
going to do my best to keep people who are serious about sword fighting
from coming to play with me because those people will take all the fun
out of it...and if they DO come, I'M gonna leave.

Or, as a more modern example of how you can change the game by changing
the stakes, one need only look at poker.  Poker for no money is a dumb
game (and one which I don't play).  Poker for nickels and dimes is the
game I play with my friends.  But when it comes to high stakes poker, I
will trot off to Vegas and only play with strangers (or people I don't
care to count among my friends).

By changing the stakes, you change the psychological profile of all the
participants--and poker being nothing more than a mind game (don't let
anybody fool you into thinking it is a card game, the cards are just a
prop that help you to mess with your opponents' minds), by altering the
mindset of the people in the game, you completely change the game.  So,
while I am perfectly willing to engage in low stakes poker with my
friends in a weekly Sunday night poker game, I will not play high
stakes poker with them.  The way to win at high stakes poker is to
really screw around with your opponents' minds (and the higher stakes
the easier this is)--but screwing around with your friends' minds is
not the way to keep them as friends.

It is possible to play cut throat poker and really screw around with
people's minds in a friendly, low stakes game (but it is "unsporting"
and such people don't get invited back).  It is impossible not to in a
high stakes game.

So, with endurance riding, if people think they can raise the stakes
without taking the sport out of it, I think they are wrong.  And if
they think they can make rules to try to force people behave like
sportsmen in something that isn't a sport, well...I think they are
wrong about that too.  "Hopelessly naïve" is the actual expression that
comes to mind.  More than three decades and eight published books has
not, by Tom's own admission, offered him success in teaching most of
the people in horse racing.  And there is little to indicate to me that
the FEI will be any more successful with endurance than it has been
with the other FEI disciplines.

The origins of sport come from long ago when people engaged in war
games for sport as well as a way of practicing for the real thing.  The
idea being that you can hone your physical skills without actually
beating yourself up and injuring yourself in the process.  So when one
engages in fencing for sport, one does not go all out, but rather
"pulls one's punches."  "Professional sports" today have more the look
of ancient sports of the past like bear baiting and gladiator contests.
Events where it was sport for the spectators while at the same time
being deadly serious for the participants.

Being one of the people who truly is interested in this sport
(endurance riding) as (nothing more than) a sport (i.e. a source of
diversion), one of my overriding motivations IS an opportunity for a
picnic in the woods (not the only one).  I can still remember going to
my first ride (the LD at the Eastern High Sierra Classic) and people
asking me why I had come so far for my first ride (~ 10 hrs drive).  My
response was, "It was an excuse to have a weekend in the Sierras."
More than 4,000 miles of competition later, I still go to rides for the
same reason. And if going to the ride won't be a nice picnic (i.e. a
pleasant diversion), I won't go.

I don't have a clue what my horse's VO2 Max is (in fact, I don't even
know how it is measured), nor do I care, except, perhaps as nothing
more than academic inquisitiveness, intellectual entertainment, if you
will.  I don't need to know that in order to take my horse out for a
picnic in the woods.  I know how to tell when my horses are overtired,
and I have spent enough time working with my horses not to push them to
that point.

If you say that people who do know their horses' VO2 Max would beat me
in a "contest" of seeing who can get their horses to the finish line
first in a 50-100 mile sprint, you may be right.  If you say that such
people will reap all the glory while I will have to make due with some
"mediocre performance," well...that's fine with me; I am uninterested
in glory.  If you say that such people are better sportsmen than I, you
are wrong.

There is a great deal of truth to the sportsman's mantra, "It doesn't
matter if you win or lose, it's how you play the game."  Please note
that that doesn't mean that one has to lose in order to be a good
sportsman.  The key words here are "it doesn't matter."  When winning
or losing actually matters, it ain't sport.

Playing well in endurance includes preparing you and your horse
properly for the demands you make, not asking more of your horse and
yourself than what you and it are capable, treating the other
participants with respect, and not cheating.  You can do these things
and cross the finish line first, last, or not at all.  And if you
enjoyed yourself in the process, you succeeded at your sport.

There are some people out there (at least one :)) that engage in
endurance riding for the sport of it (and from my experience at most of
the endurance rides that I have gone to, if I had to guess, there are
actually lots and lots, but I won't presume to speak for everybody
else).  And so far, they can do so at all levels.  But if you create an
event that appeals to people who aren't there for the sport of it, they
will come.  And if there gets to be too many of them, they take all the
fun out of it (if for no other reason than that you have to come up
with dumb rules, like "Spurs are prohibited" to try to govern them).

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s. As an aside note: if you notice that other people are having fun
with sex and tender an offer of money in hopes of getting some for
yourself, it is not reasonable to be surprised if the people who take
you up on your offer are whores.