Re: RC: RE: AERC & International & FEI

Barbara,
There is nothing wrong with cautious scrutiny, up to a point. FEI can't
"take over" AERC local rides. They can, however, pass rules & regs that
might be in conflict with AERC rules, that would effect qualifying rides,
putting AERC members who wish to compete internationally in a tough
position. Just a few years ago the only rules difference to have an FEI
approved ride was everyone had to wear a helmet & use stirrup cages. By
sitting back to watch, AERC (the voice of Endurance in the US, through AHSA,
to FEI) has diminished it's leadership ability to influence that rule
making. Without co- operation and participation between AERC, AHSA, and FEI,
Americans wishing to participate in International events are really out of
luck. I would really hate to see tham have to start another organization &
get it internationally recognized in order to have qualifing rides.
It does no good to just sit in the background and grumble about the
"corrupting influence" of money. In politics, those who don't get out & vote
don't have the right to gripe. If AERC chooses to distance itself from the
politics of international endurance, we can't complain about the result.

Nancy Mitts