Re: RC: RE: AERC & International & FEI

> Barbara,
> There is nothing wrong with cautious scrutiny, up to a point. FEI can't
> "take over" AERC local rides. They can, however, pass rules & regs that
> might be in conflict with AERC rules, that would effect qualifying rides,
> putting AERC members who wish to compete internationally in a tough
> position. Just a few years ago the only rules difference to have an FEI
> approved ride was everyone had to wear a helmet & use stirrup cages. By
> sitting back to watch, AERC (the voice of Endurance in the US, through AHSA,
> to FEI) has diminished it's leadership ability to influence that rule
> making. Without co- operation and participation between AERC, AHSA, and FEI,
> Americans wishing to participate in International events are really out of
> luck. I would really hate to see tham have to start another organization &
> get it internationally recognized in order to have qualifing rides.
> It does no good to just sit in the background and grumble about the
> "corrupting influence" of money. In politics, those who don't get out & vote
> don't have the right to gripe. If AERC chooses to distance itself from the
> politics of international endurance, we can't complain about the result.
>
> Nancy Mitts

FEI has not intention of taking over AERC or USA endurance riding. They
have no interest in it. They have graciously waived many requirements to
enable the sport to get a good foothold around the world. It takes time
for everyone to get in gear, so to speak.

The USA, IMO, stood back, resting on their "superiority" role and
allowed many things to happen. It was our inaction that lost us our
foothold. It is now our inability to stay "on top" that gives us less
credibility.  After all, who do you want to emulate...Joe Schmoe or
Valerie Kanavy?

AND, Europe had an advantage...when they got serious about endurance,
they made all of their rides essentially FEI rides.  So now most of
their riders all know the ropes.  FEI is now planning to enforce rules
that already exist instead of waiving them.  This means that if we want
to stay competitive, we must learn to rides under THEIR rules (which do
NOT vary greatly from ours) and give our riders FEI experience they so
sorely need.

For all the Hi-Tech in the USA, we are negligent is making use of much
of it.  Leonard Liesens did and he reaped the rewards.  He studied,
trained and then rode a smart ride.  Which is NOT what the USA did. Most
of our International riders are good riders and good people...NOT
ignorant, but uninformed and poorly coached.  We also have some very
good horses that could be even better with some studied maintenance and
modern technology applied.

And, IMO, the arabs are not buying horses around the world to make
themselves better, but to weaken the position of their competitors.  It
sure hurt France for awhile, it took them time, but they bounced back.
Both France and Australia are now mandating that their riders NO LONGER
sell horses to the arabs.  THEY saw what was happening......

Remember Dylan Thomas:"He who is not busy being born, is busy dying."

--
Teddy Lancaster

Finally back from France, but not fully
functional until after Labor Day.

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak;
Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

-- Winston Churchill

Running Bear Farm, Inc.
Your Trail Riding Equipment Headquarters - Celebrating our 20th
Anniversary!!!!
Teddy Lancaster, President
1348 Township Road 256
Kitts Hill, Ohio, 45645 USA  -  http://runningbear.com/
Webmaster for USA East website: http://usa-east.org/
Moderator for the USA EAST mailing list:
                            http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/USAEAST
1-800-533-2327, FAX: 740-533-0337
Home of Khalarado+/ 1990 IAHA National Endurance Champion
- (1982 Chestnut CMK Stallion)
Supplying the WORLD with quality endurance equipment since 1980