Re: RC: FEI Endurance

Michael Stone

If you think that there is any place for money prizes in endurance than you
are sadly mistaken. I remember getting into this sport and we as competitors
held true to our conviction that to finish is to win. In 10 years of racing
without the greed factor coming in to play I have seen horses over ridden by
the desire to win. I saw at the Pan Am how when you add a bit of recognition
to the pot and how the horses pay the price. Now someone like you has the
nerve to suggest that selfish, greedy emotion that large money purses add to
the mix, are the way of the future for my sport. Do you not realise the there
is a limit to how much we can ask of our animals and that we do not want to
lower ourselves to the racetrack mentality where decisions are made base on
finances versus what is right for the horse. There are not enough rich people
who are willing to put in the work of conditioning and training endurance
horse. So if we make this an elitist sport it will die as the feeder chain to
the top is the thousands of everyday riders who truly love and care about the
well being of their horse. Chase these people out of the sport and it will
not be the fastest growing sport but the cruellest and most disdain event.

Endurance is about learning to be the best horseperson possible and money
cannot buy this. There is no shortcut to being successful or good at this
sport.

Michael come watch this sport at its grass roots level where the riders,
trainers and owners are the same person, who probably can also do the farrier
work and is a pretty good at dealing with the majority of health problems.
Watch how we can compete and have sometimes a 100 % completion record.

Endurance is about putting the horse first and then we achieve success. Greed
is an ugly emotion and should not be the motivation to push our horse over
the edge for the big prize. Our ego should not be allowed on the horse back
and yet it does get up there.

Michael shake your head , if you cannot do something positive for this sport
get out and leave us alone to enjoy it. Do not let the $$$ blind your view or
judgement.

Jerald Thiessen
Sandhaven Saddlebreds