Re: unwilling trot out

I'm afraid I used a crop.

My mare wouldn't trot right out, but one swat with a crop showed her I was
serious about her moving *right now*.

She hasn't needed another swat.  Just needed to get the communication
straigtened out.

Now I lift my reins, shift my weight forward, give a little squeeze and
cluck and we're off.

As long as I'm not giving her the stick like a jockey, I don't see the harm
in an occasional tap.  We're talking about a 1000 pound animal who slamms
into other 1000 pound animals for fun.

I was always taught that as long as you swatted a horse above the knees and
behind the head, you wouldn't be doing serious harm.

Tara Wheeler
"She is the virgin harlot. She is vulgar, witty, knowlegable to a depth
that terrifies, cruel when she is most kind, unthinking while she thinks,
and when she seeks to build, she is as destructive as the corriolis storm."
Bijas from 'Dune Messiah' speaking about Alia and harpy@io.com