RE: FEI Endurance

Dear Michael,
It's not particularly you who have been drawn and quartered on Ridecamp
recently...actually I've noticed very few knives but some real questions
about ethics, economics and values. You and I discussed the May race in
Egypt at some length in early June. We had some serious questions regarding
how well some of the FEI officials on the ground here did their jobs and I
got quite a few conflicting answers on how to pursue those questions.
Locally, in the end we decided that we would follow the advice of one the
FEI responders (Braissant...(sp?) who said that issues had to be taken up by
our local federation. Since our local federation had nothing whatsoever to
do with the May race, there was no legal basis to file with the FEI and
besides we trusted what you said when you told me that the FEI would
"seriously investigate" the information that you received from us. Meanwhile
we have been working at setting up a local federation group, who hopefully
will be setting up a series of rides this year. That way, we trust, we will
have the proper channels through which we can discuss issues should it ever
be necessary, although we all hope that it wouldn't.

As for "putting my money where my mouth is", I believe that I have
consistently done that. That is, I have worked very hard with our local
Egyptian riders to help them to learn how to train and ride for endurance. I
have helped to distribute information gleaned from the internet and other
sources and to try to arrange for foreign riders to come here as our guests
to give training sessions. I have helped to bring the right equipment for
our horses. Not having a lot of money to put in my mouth, I have had to work
instead and to argue for the proper treatment of our local riders and for
fair conditions for all. I have simply consistently objected to conflicts of
interest, to the arrogance of wealth, and I have refused to keep quiet when
I see something wrong, even when (however quietly) I am threatened. I'm not
aware of these activities being against the well-being of the FEI or any
other organisation, and I will continue. I realise that the UAE is in the
position to offer a lot of cash incentives for riders and to make the whole
sport much more lucrative for at least some. That's ok, and I believe that
riders have the right to choose to participate or not...and also to say why
they make their choice. Some of us may not think that the cash is really
such a great idea. We have that right, just as you have the right to accept
the support. All anyone can ask is fair competition.