Re: unwilling trot out

Dede,
DO practice at home, but don't have someone stand behind the horse to
smack him.  Carry a dressage whip in your left hand pointing backwards
towards his butt.  Using the whip as an extension of your arm, reach
back and give him a little tap with it when you want more forward
movement.  Works for me! :)  Also, make sure you're not getting 'in
front' of him, stay at his shoulder.  You can use a verbal cue too when
you touch him with the whip, like a kissing or clucking sound and you
can eventually drop the whip and just make the sound.  Good luck!  Lisa