Re: unwilling trot out

>When it is time to do  a trot-out with my horse, whether it be pre-ride,
>post-ride, or at home just for the heck of it, he will not willingly trot.

Getting a horse to move forward on the ground is similar to teaching them
to move forward in the saddle.  Tugging, coaxing, nagging doesn't work
because they can listen to that all day long -- essentially ignoring you.
Practice at home with a dressage or buggy whip in your left hand.  When you
turn to step forward, the horse should respond by immediately stepping
forward at a walk.  When you stop, make it clear that it's a "stop" by
being even with their neck and turning towards their shoulder.  Make a
clear distinction between the two.  When you ask for a trot from a
standstill, you need to add an additional cue to make a further
distinction.  First establish with the horse to come with you when you turn
to walk.  When that is cemented, add the instructions for going into the trot.

Establish a cue for stepping into the trot that can be used anywhere (a
kiss noise works well.)  Tell the horse "trot", make the kiss noise, and if
you don't get any response -- give one good, *hard* smack on the rump with
the whip.  Do this without stopping or turning if possible so as to not
interrupt the forward movement.  Don't tug on the line and don't just "tap"
with the whip.  Tapping with the whip is not terribly distasteful and will
quickly be incorporated as part of the cue. ;-)  When you get the *very*
forward trotting response you want (which will happen with a good smack --
just be careful not to pull back and punish the forward movement)
IMMEDIATELY go back to your standing position.  This is extremely important
for the learning process!  Repeat your cues -- "TROT" then kiss noise.  If
you don't get instant response, give the one hard smack again...get your
forward trot then go right back to the halt again.  The horse figures out
pretty quickly to trot out and avoid step 2!!  When it comes to the rides,
do a couple of practices at your campsight so that they get the idea that
the same response is required or they will get the same irritation from
you. <g>  You can eventually drop the word "trot" and just kiss to them and
they should *immediately* go strongly forward into the trot.

An important point here is to make your instructions very clear and also
make the outcome of NOT following your instructions very clear and
immediate.  If you want the horse to come forward at the trot, make it
distinctly different than walking forward with you.  Establish the horse's
position *with* you, not lagging behind you...they need to stay up with you
so that you are even with their neck near their shoulders.

Do all of this very calmly and in a matter-of-fact type of mode and when
you get the desired response, reward them with a "good boy" or "good girl"
-- DO NOT stop to give them pats or anything edible.  Tell them they were
good (you got the response you wanted) but keep going until you tell them
to halt at the appropriate time.  If you reward simply going forward by
stopping and giving them a treat, the horse will learn to take a few steps
and stop, expecting you to do something or give them something.  This holds
true for cues while riding -- if they learn to expect a treat that slows
down their forward progress, they will learn to respond quickly to cue and
then stop just as quickly for their "treat".  This is not a good thing (and
a hard habit to break)...they need to learn to do what you say and to
continue until you say to do something else.  Make the reward something
they can accept without changing their way of going.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.