RE: Small Truck/Brenderup Trailer

I had borrowed two separate Brenderups before I bought my Trails West slant.
I opted not to buy one because:

1.  My horses hated them.  They had no problems loading (from their first
try) into a ramped slant load.  When we tried
to load them on the Brenderup straight load ramp it took two hours with my
mare before we decided it was a butt rope job.
They came out of the trailer looking real shaken up after a slow one-hour
drive, vs. looking fine after a 3-hour haul in the
slant.  Next time I tried to load them into this trailer both my mare and
gelding were terrified.

2. The second one I borrowed was tweaked.  I thought that I had done
something, but the owner said, "oh no, it does
that sometimes, and I just reparked it so it leveled out and it was fine."
In other words, I couldn't the latch up the
ramp unless it was parked "just so".  But she still loved her trailer
because it's so light.  She also has QHs.

3.  No brakes, and real "goosy" when backing up.

4.  Real thin plywood on the doors that were cracked very easily.

Just my opinion, of course.  I liked the room in the front with the chest
bar on the trailers, but I you can get them
on other makes, too.

Kathy

P.S.  I haul the 2-horse slant w/tack room bumper pull with a Chevy 1/2 ton
extended cab/short bed.  Not ideal, but I have had no problems because of
the rubber torsion axles on the Trails West. And I have a nice tack room,
which causes a little "tack room envy" from a couple of my friends.
(Although I have to admit I have "living quarters envy" myself - but that
has to wait until I get a bigger truck!)  My trailer is not REAL light- its
around 3000 lbs. base weight.  With two horses, I'm most likely maxed out on
my truck.