Re: RC: RE: Small Truck/Brenderup Trailer

Hi Kathy,
	I have had two Brenderups, and cannot even visualize the problems you
speak of. I had totally green horses and trailer trailed 3 of them with my
Brenderups and had NO problems...ALL Arabs.

>They came out of the trailer looking real shaken up after a slow one-hour
>drive, vs. looking fine after a 3-hour haul in the
>slant.  Next time I tried to load them into this trailer both my mare and
>gelding were terrified.
	My horses always rode just fine in it and never had any problems in 5 years.

>2. The second one I borrowed was tweaked.  I thought that I had done
>something, but the owner said, "oh no, it does
>that sometimes, and I just reparked it so it leveled out and it was fine."
>In other words, I couldn't the latch up the
>ramp unless it was parked "just so".  But she still loved her trailer
>because it's so light.  She also has QHs.
	One thing about the Brenderup trailers which may cause this is that you
always should travel with the butt bars up and locked into position.  These
trailers flex, and in doing so, this is probably how this trailer got
"tweaked".
	Something people are NOT aware of with ramp load trailers is that when the
ground is UNEVEN and you are loading and unloading horses that weigh
anywhere from 900 to 1300 pounds, you can TORQUE the ramp hinges.
This can make it very hard to put the ramp up and down, because you are
BENDING the hinges.  I kept a supply of shims with me and when the ground
was uneven, I would simply shim the ramp at the ground so that it would not
bend the hinge when loading and unloading.  In FIVE years, with 17h
AngloArab and Arabs, as well as warmbloods and quarter horses, I NEVER bent
the ramp hinges.

>3.  No brakes, and real "goosy" when backing up.

	I found the surge brakes on my Brenderup the best I ever had, and in five
years never had ANY problems? In fact, on the interstate just outside of
Memphis there was an awful wreck right in front of us, which we would have
been a part of had the brakes on the Brenderup not been as good as they
were.  It would have been a major catastrophe with us travelling at 55mph
and a huge panel truck that went haywire in front of us.

>4.  Real thin plywood on the doors that were cracked very easily.

	As I mentioned, I had HUGE horses in and out of my trailer, which was
ALWAYS kept outdoors, and never had anything like this occur with the
panels or floor?  Was this a really OLD Brenderup?

	Charlene Bartholomae
	AERC # 11292/Central Region
	Kentwood, Louisiana