Wannabe cowboys (was: Sheath Cleaning)

> their cowboy riding gear---full shotgun leather chaps, Levi jackets, knee
> high cowboy boots(worn on the outside of their pants), Giant cowboy hats,

The pants inside/outside of the boots must be a terrain-based or regional
thing.  What was your area like?

Packing in California's eastern Sierra Mountains years ago, I found that you
pretty much need your boots to remain inside the pant leg, else you end up
with brush and their hitchhiking "critters" falling in through the boot top.
Also, I found less water in my boot when they were protected by the heavy
denim that *kind of* directed the water away from the boot top.  Not
perfect, but helps (yes, I always carried a rain slicker on the saddle, but
not every guest did  --- so, whenever I forgot to pack in a spare, I ended
up with a few wet rides since I loaned mine out.  But, I'd rather see a
guest's kid kept dry and happy rather than miserable and soaking wet)   :->.

Pant legs did get quickly tucked in when crossing creeks by foot or if
making a moonless midnight run to the packer-potty (a big granite rock
<g>) --- and of course, the flashlight batteries are dead.  Fun adventures!

Yet another humble Saturday afternoon opinion in hot-n'-dry Texas,

Kim Pelletier

(and Lee, ex-lead mare and mule-master (you mean I can make real nasty-faces
when those mules get near my big QH-mutt butt?  Yippeee!  :-) )