Re: RC: Re: Re: arab/percheron crosses

In a message dated 08/18/2000 8:50:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tawasentha@ohiohills.com writes:

<< Of course
 we did not use any of the american bred Percherons, but a Canadian one with
 true French breeding!  They are truly magnificent and the foundation
 stallion of the Thorcherons was a 17 hand big boy that was very nimble and
 could jump a 4 foot jump with very little effort! >>

As a matter of interest, the Percheron comes in two sizes...the draft size
and the coach size.  The smaller version was a great coach horse in earlier
times and a team could trot twenty miles a day pulling a passenger coach. (So
says a book we have on Horses of the World).  Our gelding was a cross between
a Morgan and a 1400# Percheron mare, and he inherited trot from both sides.
Other than Lari Shea's Orloff stallion (and THOSE were bred to trot, also) he
was the fastest trotter I have ever seen on the endurance trail.  Arabs
always had to gallop to keep up with him.  We were told by his former rider
that he could jump a bit, too, but we never bothered to try that.

Barbara