Re: Re: Dead/Alive -TEVIS RESCUE Part 2

I am sure that some folks are making some assumptions about availability of
emergency services (someone mentioned "just call 911"... which of course is
simply not available in many rural areas). I have lived in extremely rural
areas and help is often very difficult to get quickly.  However, there is
always *some* kind of organized effort, a number to call... someone to
contact.

However, I still think it is reasonable to expect ride management to at
least know what services are available, how to notify the appropriate
people, and have a mechanism for distributing that information to riders and
crew or anyone else who needs that information.  This is not about having
helicopters and emergency personnel standing by at every ride.  It is about
the availability of information and the responsibility of *someone* to
distribute that information.  When you have an organized event such as an
endurance ride, it is not much of a reach to anticipate various types of
emergency situations that  will probably arise for both horses and people.
It seems that collecting information about what emergency services are
available, including the most efficient method of contacting those people
AND notifying them that the event is taking place as well as the kind of
accidents or injuries that can occur... well, this simply doesn't seem to be
an unreasonable thing to ask of ride management for any ride.

Now, perhaps all of this was actually in place at Tevis (couldn't tell you
since I wasn't there myself). However, it does appear that there was some
kind of a communication failure at minimum and THAT can at least be turned
into a learning experience in and of itself.  Accidents happen.  By
definition, they are unexpected.  But that doesn't mean that they can't be
anticipated and that we don't need to plan for them as best we can.  I think
that is all that most of us are asking for.

Kirsten
Tucson, AZ