RE: Dead/Alive -TEVIS RESCUE Part 2

Safety is a universal buzz word now days. It is in the same group as apple
pie and motherhood. NO ONE and I really mean no one can fault it or deny it.
A point in case that is very immediate to me. Boise was a military base when
the west was won. The Army practiced artillery firing into the foothills
from 1870 to about 1935 (aprox) Now the Government wants to spend 2.2
million to clean up the scrap because some one might get injured. 130 years
and no reportable incidents BUT. The Government considers the risk to be
less than half of being struck by lightening but will spend all that money
to do the job. Mind you it will not get done before 2002 or 2003 (if then)
but the danger still exists so they say.

Safety at the Tevis could, with outside influence, become a big money item.
If the issue is pressed the Agencies could impose stricter regulations,
require increased insurance and/or deny the event on the grounds of the
safety issues. Safety is a personal issue in endurance riding. You are the
ultimate, responsible end of the chain.

Remember,  one of the drawing points of endurance riding is the team effort
of you and the horse against the trail. No one forces you to compete. You
make the decision. If you feel the trail is to tough then you are not tough
enough for the trail. Go ride in the ring or some place else. When the
majority of the riders complete a ride but a few complain about the trail
(the NC rides) then you know that  some of the riders just were not ready to
ride the ride. No one forced them to compete. No one promised them a rose
garden. No one promised them they would even survive the ride.

Sorry, but the generation now riding leads me to believe they do not know
what hardship is and they do not want to learn. Failure is the one most
positive way to learn.

Bob Morris