Re: RC: Update on Donte/new project horse

In a message dated 8/10/00 9:53:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tondi313@yahoo.com writes:

<< >  >In any case, I have been massaging and running icy
 > cold water on her leg in

 TI,

 Isn't it risky to be massaging soft tissue that's been
 damaged, when the damage isn't known?  That's my
 understanding.

 Thanks,

 =====
 She >>

I'm confused as to which horse we're talking about here. In one horse we had
bruising--no problem with light massage there--and in the other there was a
mass of fibrous  tissue--again, no problem with massage. The latter horse was
very well diagnosed, while the former demonstrated problems where no soft
tissue organs were in danger from massage.

If we were talking about tendons or suspensories, I might advise a little
caution with massage--but even then, I doubt that damage would exceed
benefit. We don't massage tendons or suspensories, though. The TENS machine
works nicely to remove edema and debris.

ti