Re: RC: Dead/Alive -TEVIS RESCUE Part 2

In the following email I have typed the word HORSE in caps because people
seem to be a little confused about what I posted earlier.

Bette wrote:
>I would like to think that the attitude towards safety considerations is
>not governed by PR considerations. If so, why bother to wear helmets?

Wearing helmets is personal responsibility.  Safety is not governed by PR,
but expecting emergency vehicles, maybe even emergency helicopters to be
available for a HORSE in trouble, when riding through back country, or
expecting HORSE rescue services in wilderness areas (where these emergency
vehicles are NOT allowed) is asking too much of any Ride Manager.  I am NOT
saying that it isn't a good idea to have people associated with the ride
who know first aid & CPR, but aside from that, expecting that the RM will
supply the means to extract a HORSE from trouble in the back country is too
much to ask.  All the examples Bette provided are for events with money
prizes, events which charge big entry fees.  They can afford to have HORSE
rescue services available, as well as people services.

Angie wrote:
>Doesn't have to be a rescue squad, just somebody who knows the terrain,
>and the locals and knows who and where to go for help.

That should be the RM his/herself.  On the other hand, I have never
attended a ride where an ambulance was standing by, like at a school
football game.  Many rides are located in out-back areas where small
communities can't afford to have their ambulance or other emergency service
vehicles or people away from town.

Please, if you want to reply to my comments remember that people
emergencies and HORSE emergencies are two different things, and if anyone
cares to bother to reread my original post, I was talking about HORSE
EMERGENCIES, which is what Denise experienced.  Lif

Lif & Paul Strand  STRAND ENTERPRISES fasterhorses.com
providing you with alternatives for your life
Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
fax: (561) 594-4609