Fracture of coffin bone

    Hi everyone. I found out about a month ago from an xray that my mare has
a small fracture in her coffin bone that's slowly been healing. I remember a
ride in March where at the end of about 12 miles, her left front leg started
shaking. Called the vet in the next day because my mare was visibly limping
in the pasture. The vet came the next day and said it was probably an abcess
forming. I soaked for 2 weeks. (The limping stopped the next day). Anyway, no
abcess came out that I know of. So I continued to ride. Sometimes she seemed
a bit off but I'm a novice in the lameness area. Nobody noticed anything.
Well, just last month, she started to limp on that same leg when walking up
or down hills. Not at the trot or canter. So, had a different take an xray
and found the fracture. I'm laying her off on my own accord for 3 months. The
vet wanted me to ride her till she was very lame. I refused to do that. Am I
correct in doing so? He wanted to "see" the lameness. Also, if anyone had a
horse with this kind of fracture, how did the horse heal? Will I be able to
continue with competitive riding? Thank you all in advance. Deb