Re: RC: Fracture of coffin bone

At 08:22 AM 8/7/00 -0400, Deb wrote:
>. The vet wanted me to ride her till she was very lame. I refused to do
>that. Am I correct in doing so? He wanted to "see" the lameness. Also, if
>anyone had a horse with this kind of fracture, how did the horse heal?
>Will I be able to continue with competitive riding? Thank you all in advance.

Am I understanding correctly that your vet, knowing that the horse had a
fractured coffin, wanted you to ride the horse more?  That would be my EX
vet real quick!

We have a 26 year old gelding that broke his navicular when he was 7.  He
had 6 months off and was sound after that - still is.  Although we never
used him for any type of competitive riding after that, he was used for
pleasure trail riding and as a school horse.  Can't say whether or not a
coffin bone would heal as well, and I can't advise on using your horse
competitively - I was always afraid to ride our boy too far from a trailer
ride to the vets, just in case.  Lif

Lif & Paul Strand  STRAND ENTERPRISES fasterhorses.com
providing you with alternatives for your life
Web Page Design * Computer Graphics * Internet Research * Fine Art
Blue-Green Algae & other complementary health options
Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
fax: (561) 594-4609