From: <guest@endurance.net>
To: <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Saturday, August 05, 2000 11:25 PM
Subject: RC: Re: On Fire

> Jonni <jonnij@earthlink.net>
> While my heart goes out to ALL the victums of brush and forest fires, I am
a bit troubled by the fact that the animals are not evacuated yet. First,
why wait until you are in a HUGE rush. Take them out while you have the time
to think more clearly. Second, and even more important, it was mentioned the
smoke was so thick it was hard for you to breathe. What do you think this
smoke is doing to your animals. As I understand it, the thick smoke does so
much damage to the horses. If you have a safe place to take them, that is
away from the smoke, please consider taking them as soon as you can.

> I have been a member of evacuation teams in the past when Malibu
California was burning. I tell you, pulling a trailer full of horses up a
canyon road, with 30-80' flames shooting into the air on each side of this
canyon, knowing if the wind shifted we could get caught IN the flames was
not my idea of a fun time. Fires shift and change patterns so quickly, that
a home that was not in danger one moment, is now in direct line of the fire.
People have the choice as to how long to stay before evacuation, animals do
not.

> I hope that the rains do come (without lightning) to aid the hardworking
fire fighters that are trying to save homes. It is a very frightning
situation, and my thoughts are with everyone.