Re: Qualifying for NC or Partners ride

First, let me thank the Daniel Boone Distance Rider's
for offering to host this ride in 2001!  The remainder
of the post is aimed at AERC members who have any say
in setting the qualifications for the NC rides...

This post brings up one of the problems with the NC
ride.  The MUST be consistency in various aspects to
help draw riders.  At the very least, keep the general
qualification requirements the same from year to year,
even if dates for qualifications have to change based
on the date of the NC ride.  If it was finish in top
10 in certain rides, then so be it.  Suddenly we
switch to top 5?  Did we have too many riders in the
100 or 50 for 2000?  Do we need to exclude or limit
riders to keep the ride to a reasonable number of
entrants?  Didn't look like it...

Secondly, take up offers from volunteers!  A web page
& coverage would have been fantastic!

Third, set up and advertise the qualifying rides more
clearly and FAR in advance.  This aspect has always
been weak in my mind.

One of the draws for the ROC when the ROC still
existed was that I could qualify my <horse> over its
lifetime.  I could advertise my horse as ROC
qualified.  It was a goal to work towards that no
longer exists.  It's too bad.

Should the AERC move into a "Partners Ride" where the
horse must qualify over its lifetime to enter?  It
would be more in line with the old ROC and certainly
fill a void.  Listen to the pride in voices when they
say "I rode the ROC".

"nuff said.  Back to work.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch