RE: Re: Qualifying for NC or Partners ride

Quick response to some of Linda's comments:

>>If it was finish in top
10 in certain rides, then so be it.  Suddenly we
switch to top 5?

Last year it was top 10 at a specific qualifying ride. But we felt
that there were logistical challenges with this (timing,
limited entries, etc) that kept some people from entering that
were otherwise qualified and eager to participate.

This year (2001 event) the competitions committee wanted
to loosen the requirements, but still have some sort of
qualification. You may qualify by finishing Top 5 in your
weight division in ANY ride within the qualifying period.
There will be no specific qualifying rides.

>>Secondly, take up offers from volunteers!  A web page
& coverage would have been fantastic!

I find it hard to believe that an offer to do web coverage
was turned down! I've talked to a few people already who
want to attend the 2001 NC and do live/internet coverage.
This is all about individuals 'just doing it!' The more, the
merrier.

>>Third, set up and advertise the qualifying rides more
clearly and FAR in advance.  This aspect has always
been weak in my mind.

You will see a lot of advertisement for this next NC.

>>One of the draws for the ROC when the ROC still
existed was that I could qualify my <horse> over its
lifetime.

When the NC really takes off we may have to go to a
'real' qualification process. For now, we need to encourage
anyone and everyone to join in and make it happen.

The one thing that is unique about the NC event is that it
is a weight division race. Heavyweights against heavyweights
was a big deal at this ride.

We (AERC) are committed to making this happen - and
recognize that advertisement and consistency are important.
You all have valid suggestions. But at this point the format
is pretty much determined, so let's all get behind it and
try to make it work. Susan Gibson and the ROC were
one of a kind.

hang in there!

Steph

(I'll be out of touch for a few days - off to France in the morning....)