Re: RC: one jugular

People can also develop a similar problem and it has a
name - Superior Vena Cava Syndrome.  Blockages do not
happen with every IV every time, but the potential
exists.  The longer the IV is there, the higher the
chance of occurrence.  The more damage caused during
the catheter insertion, the higher the chance of
occurrence.

Angie had a good point - this is not the end of the
world!  Horses can go on to continue to lead perfectly
normal lives.  Even if BOTH jugulars were to become
blocked, it does NOT mean that the horse must be "put
down".  Animals will develop "collateral circulation".
 Smaller blood vessels will enlarge to carry the extra
blood that needs to flow.  The body will also develop
new blood vessels to help carry the bloor past the
blockage.  Rather than one large vessel, you will have
a web of smaller ones to do the same job.

This web of collateral vessels will more than
adeqautely carry the blood flow, but it will NOT be
avilable for future IV's.  The individual diameter of
any one of them will simply not be large enough.

If anyone wants more information on how the blockages
occur, what can be done to intervene if it is
recognized early, or just want to chat, this was an
area of study for me for nearly 5 years.

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV