Sarvice Flats Ride

I had a great time this weekend, volunteering for this 1st time ride.  This
was also the first ride that Lynn Fredrickson and Carla Stamper had managed.
They did a very nice job, and got a lot of compliments from many riders.
There was a 50, a 25, and a trail ride loop.

The Synopsis:
At the ride meeting on Friday night, folks voted to start the 50s at 5
instead of 6 due to the heat (around 100 that day, no clouds, little
breeze).  Ride morning started out slightly overcast, as it had been
overnight.  It still felt warm.  But the clouds stayed put, and kept the
temperatures down.  21 riders started the 50, and 10 started the 25.  Loop 1
was a 25 mile loop, and back to camp for the first vet check and 45 min.
hold.  With the expected heat, getting that first 25 miles out of the way
worked really well.  The leaders (there were 3 of them riding together) came
in about 7:30.  The 25 milers had left at 6, on a different (13 mile) loop,
and came in about the same time for their 45 min. hold.  Second loop for the
50s was the one the 25s had done first.  Second loop for the 25s was also
the 3rd loop for the 50s.  Clouds stayed around until the 25s were pretty
much all in, and the 50s were through their second loop.  When they finally
cleared, a nice breeze came up, which really helped out.

Results:
Well, I don't really have much, but the winners in the 50 (they tied) were
Pat Gisvold on Tezeros Khadesha and Carol Andrews on Jaziret Bey Musc (whom
she just sold to Steph Teeter).  Ride time was 5 hr. 45 min. for them.
Third place was a big Appy gelding, but I can't remember the name of the
lady riding him.  First in the 25 was Jordan Valacich (a junior) riding with
her dad, who was 2nd.  She would have done well in the BC judging too, but
her weight counted against her.  One pull in the 50 (lameness) and 2 folks
in the 25 got off the trail and turned around, ended up back in camp, but
came from the wrong direction.  Thought they'd probably already done at
least 25 miles!  Just the wrong ones....

I got to meet several of you, and put faces to names.  I was very proud of
our local endurance riders turned managers for doing such a good job of
planning and organizing their first ride.  Trails were mostly old dirt
logging roads.  Nice views of the Seven Devils mountains.  Lots of water
available on the trail and at camp.  Well marked trails.  Moderate amount of
rock on the trail.  Next year (I think they will do it again) they are
talking about having at least one meal catered -- barbecue and Dutch oven
cooking.  This is a local guy with a great reputation.  I'd go just for the
food!

Kris Hazelbaker
Grangeville, ID