RC: Re: Re: carbs and heart rate

Hi Heidi
When I made the comment about feeding at home versus at a ride I was
referring to quantity rather than actual type of feed.
Having said that (quickly putting on flame suit) I break the golden rule on
major rides.  At home the horses eat hay ad lib, beet pulp, chaff (50%
chopped alfafa 50% chopped oat straw), cooked flaked barley & a cereal
balancer sweet mix containing a vit/min pre-mix.
On the day of the ride they get free choice out of what they get at home
except I substitute the cereal balancer for a molassed sweet meal (actually
its Omolene) which I don't feed at home because its 15% protein.
I feed this on the day because its very appetizing and the horses love it.
I've never had a problem with this switch of feed perhaps because the basic
constituents of both sweet mixes are more or less the same, its just the
protein & fat levels that vary & my cereal balancer is un-molassed.
How long is the average vet on your race-rides?  Ours vary between 20mins to
45mins at most.  I am nervous about feeding too much at vets but like to be
reassured my horse is getting enough.  What would be the max you would feed
at a vet?  Or don't you worry?
Also worry, towards to end of the ride, about letting the horse stand around
eating for too long.
Rightly or wrongly I try to get them to eat as much as possible at the early
vets as I feel this "fuel" keeps them going in the later stages when I find
mostly what they want to eat is grass or succulents.
Heather