RC: Re: Re: carbs and heart rate

In a message dated 1/16/00 4:31:17 AM Pacific Standard Time,
hn.heather@wanadoo.fr writes:

<< I've come in on the middle of this one, can't remember where it all
started.
 Surely feeding on race-days, particularly multi-day rides, bears little
 resemblance to feeding at home. >>

This is an important point.  The only thing I keep in mind is that I don't
feed anything on race day that I DON'T feed at home--I don't want to have a
problem with a strange feed.  But--on race day one has to feed according to
what one is doing.  Forage is free choice from about 72 hours pre-race
onward, and while none of mine have EVER had anywhere near 12 lbs of grain on
a race, they've certainly had 5 or 6 lbs during a 100 where they only get 2 a
day at home.  I did have one mare that could not tolerate much grain--she did
NOT get any extra at rides (yes, she would tie up) but she did just fine and
was very competitive.  (I've told her story before.)

Heidi