RC: BRAND INSPECTION IN CAL. (long)

Open range laws aren't there to encourage everyone to turn their livestock
out for the winter - they're not a license for free feed for the public,
they only define who is liable for what.  Livestock that is turned out on
open range by someone who doesn't own the land or who isn't leasing from
the owner (whether it's the government with BLM land or private land) is
stray livestock - at least that's what it seems to be from my reading of NM
livestock law.  NM law and from what I read of what was posted, CA law too,
provides for a remedy for stray (estray) livestock.

At 12:32 PM 1/16/00 , Dyane Smith wrote:
>I'm just not sure that an "open-range" law that encourages people to turn
>their horses and cows out for the winter is still viable.

Lif & Paul Strand   STRAND ENTERPRISES   http://www.fasterhorses.com
   Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
Internet Research * WebArt * Fine Art
Nutrition and alternatives for self-reliant people
Quemado, NM  USA