RC: Re: Re: BRAND INSPECTION IN CALIFORNIA (long)

In NM & some other states it's the law to brand all livestock, including
horses.  If you get caught by a livestock inspector in a bad mood, you can
wind up with an impounded horse & spending $$$.  Freeze marks are accepted
as a brand, as of course a registered brand is.  But microchips are not.

You also have to have "traveling papers" in NM & some other states - here
it's a card you have to carry with you when your horse is off your
property.  In order to get one of the cards, the horse has to be inspected
by the brand inspector.  No brand, no card.  Of course lots of people don't
bother - we don't have all our horses done, but then we don't take those
(retirees, horses too young to ride) off the property either.  Lif

At 07:56 PM 1/15/00 , Spencer wrote:
>BTW, most horses are no longer branded due to cosmetic concerns.

Lif & Paul Strand   STRAND ENTERPRISES   http://www.fasterhorses.com
   Arabian Horses for Distance Riding
Internet Research * WebArt * Fine Art
Nutrition and alternatives for self-reliant people
Quemado, NM  USA