Re: horses on IV's at Tevis

Carol  kamikazearabs@hotmail.com
I don't think there is any way you can compare the amount of metabolic expenditure that rodeo horses put out to endurance horses and wonder why endurance horses need IV fluid replacement. If one went to a human track event you would find the same results. The sprinters don't need IV fluid replacement because their fluid lose is minimal compared to the long distance or marathon runners. Obviously this lady has never seen an iron man triathalon where a great majority of the participants ask for or are placed an IV replacement fluids, especially when the daytime temps are in the 90's. While the riders should be experienced enough to know their horse, some horses will show no sign of fatigue until it is too late. That's why heart monitors are a good idea. And I think a qualifying ride for Tevis would be a good idea. Too many people come from outside the area and have no idea how tough the terrain and elevation make this ride.