Re: Re: uh-oh, Insulted Farrier

(OK, OK, I said I was done....the computer store closed before I could get
the thing in yet tonight so I'm back!).  As a third party observer/helper I
have the opportunity to see some interesting situations arise.  I am not
saying that farriers should be violent with our horses but how many of us
have not smacked our horses at one time or another?  I will often observe
"Mr. Ed" standing quietly at the head for "Mom/Dad" while doing everything
in its power at the other end to put its foot down as forcefully as
possible on top of Nelson's foot.  Nelson usually gives the horse the
benefit of the doubt once, maybe twice on a good day.  If his persistence
doesn't show the horse that he is serious, I will usually go to the head to
hold the horse and let the owner come back and "see" for him/herself.
Quite eye opening!!  Most times a good swat with the hand and a gruff voice
will stop the behavior.  This is a little more difficult than the situation
in which a horse tries to kick.  Kicking is a little more obvious than
pulling or pushing on the farrier.  I have also seen horses try to kick
with their hind leg when Nelson has the front leg up!!!  We have two in
particular that try to do this...my job with these two is to stand there
and if they try this, I "pat" them on their belly or butt or whatever.
It's usually enough to distract them.  If I'm not there, Nelson will
usually have to resort to swatting them himself.  Anyway, my point after
all this rambling is that sometimes trying to put a foot down is as much
naughty behavior as kicking, especially after they have nailed the farrier
on the top of the foot and perhaps broken a bone.  And especially when they
play the innocent act!!  Which some horses are expert at!  There is a
difference between a farrier smacking a horse with his open hand and
speaking sharply to a misbehaving horse and one who truly abuses horses.
Be careful not to make snap judgements.  Nelson worked for almost a year
with a horse who ALWAYS tried to kick him when he did her hind feet...she
was pretty serious about it, too.  Each time, she would kick less.  He
would start at her shoulder and run his hand along her body and down her
leg. (We learned this after trial and error...you simply could not approach
her and ask immediately for her foot).   When she kicked out, he swatted
her with his open hand on her leg and started over at her shoulder.  Last
time we were there she ran to the fence to greet Nelson (in truth, looking
for her peppermint treat which horses get after their feet are done) and
didn't even offer to kick.  The lady called yesterday and said she loved us
dearly but had found a cheaper guy nearby and she's poor.  I couldn't
believe all that time and effort and now she is going to start over with
someone new.  We're busy so we won't notice the financial loss but
sometimes the rewards of this job are small victories like this one,
insignificant to the world but a pat on the back in the farrier's world.
Just my 2 cents.

Maggie Mieske
Mieske's Silver Lining
10601 S. Richards Rd.