Big Horn 100

Cindy Collins ccollins@park6.k12.wy.us
First, let me congratulate Susan Horne for winning the BH 100
mile ride.  She rode alone for the last 50 miles and showed great
perserverance.  The trail was extremely well marked by Kathy and
Bud Arnold.  Now for the down side.  We only had four riders in
the 100 and five in the 50.  For those of you who aren't
aware, the Big Horn 100 mile ride is one of the oldest rides in
the nation (31 yrs.) and was twice the site of the ROC.  However,
the ride has struggled for years to continue.  By myself, I can
come up with a dozen reasons why our attendance is so poor.  The
problem is...I don't know how to fix most of them.  So, I'd
like to share some of my thoughts with you and ask for you
to respond back, not only with your complaints, but with
any realistic solutions for saving this historic ride:  Unlike the
Tevis or Old Dominion (which have hundreds of volunteers and a
huge population base to draw upon), the BH is located in Shell, WY
and the local population of several surrounding communities is
less than 5,000.  Therefore, volunteers are VERY hard to come by
and the ride is always, and will always be, short-handed.  Another
serious problem (although it doesn't seem to hurt Tevis or OD) is
that you need a pit crew and/or driver for this ride.  It is a
point-to-point event over rough mountain terrain.  Vet checks are
far apart and isolated.  The BH is an extremely difficult ride.
Some people have suggested that the average endurance rider
today is not up to that type of challenge and want simple, loop
rides with easy terrain.  Trail marking has been a problem in
the past as we struggle with cattle and elk eating ribbons
faster than we can put them out!  Also, several sections can only
be marked by foot or horseback.  This year the Arnolds marked
the entire trail two days before the event, quite a feat, and that
helped.We know the conflicting dates with Tevis keep some folks
away.  This is tough because we, too, want a full moon for our
100 milers.  In June there's still too much snow on the trail and
in Aug. 75% of our helpers are in harvest.  Sept. snow is a threat
again, plus hunting season.  The ride has been in such financial
difficulties that we have not sanctioned with the two regional
groups-MRER and EMDRA-perhaps that has kept some of you away.
Because cattle run on most of the trail, there are MANY gates to
open and I know how irritating that can be.  Perhaps some of you
have had personal conflicts with current or past members of
ride management and that keeps you away. I've also heard that
there are not enough fancy awards or amenities.  Unlike some
rides, the BH 100 is not underwritten by wealthy individuals.
The BH 100, Inc. is a non-profit organization with about 6 people
trying to keep it going.  All of these people are working class.
We have seven private landowners, plus BLM and USFS to work with.
What I don't want is for this forum to be a chance for people to
vent their personal vendettas against individuals or events.
Kathy Arnold and I just want you to share with us why you believe
people aren't attending this ride AND any thoughts on how we can
save this historic trail/event.  Thank you for listening and
responding.  BTW, neither Kathy nor I really want to be THE ride
manager for this event, although we both will work behind the
scenes.  Why???  Because we both want to be able to RIDE this
incredible event.  Email me ccollins@park6.k12.wy.us
Respectfully submitted as a guest to ridecamp,  Cindy Collins,
AERC #176, 6,000+ miles, six BH 100 buckles.